"Don't forget you need a permit to burn during a Restricted Fire Season."- SO Simon McLachlan
Cust is a small village set on the terraces of the Inland Scenic Route 72, with panoramic views across the rural landscape to the rolling hills and the mountains. Cust is approximately 48kms inland north-west of Christchurch in the heart of North Canterbury and is part of the Waimakariri District. It serves as a service township for the local rural community and is host to a Hotel, Service Station, Café and several other shops and businesses. Cust is one of the oldest European communities in Canterbury and there are several pre-European Maori settlement sites nearby. Traditionally a sheep farming district, many local farmers are now looking to diversify their farming methods, many into dairying. There is a very well-appointed museum in the village, this is open on Sunday afternoons or by arrangement.
Brigade Turnout Area
Cust Volunteer Fire Brigade was formed in 1950 and in 1995 a new Station was built to accommodate the needs of the Brigade. In law, the Brigade has a responsibility to attend fires and other emergencies in the Cust Urban Fire District, a relatively small area centred on the Cust Village. By arrangement between the New Zealand Fire Service and the Waimakariri District Council, we provide the same service throughout an area bounded north and south by the Waimakariri and Ashley rivers, in the west approximately half way to Oxford and in the east half way to Rangiora and Kaiapoi.
While our turnout area is largely rural, it has three schools, a very large forest, major arterial roads and approximately 3000 permanent residents. Many people commute through our area daily to work in Rangiora and Christchurch, this is “our patch”. The Brigade shares common boundaries with Oxford Volunteer Fire Brigade in the west and Rangiora and Kaiapoi Volunteer Fire Brigades in the east.